Sunday, March 21, 2010

Watching the Neighbors

Bunnies, Bunnies, Bunnies! Sitting at my desk I can see 4, no wait, 5 bunnies. They really enjoy the short native grass that has sprouted under the two Palo Verde trees in front of our bedroom. They nibble a bit, then pause to listen, then nibble some more. Sometimes, they all pause at once, then scatter in different directions. I usually can't tell what has frightened them. Yesterday, I did see the hawk fly down really close to one. In fact, I initially thought he had caught it, but the little bunny had dove under the agave for safety. I know they get eaten, I just don't wish to witness the process.

The entire front wall of the bedroom is glass, with no covering of any sort. There is a sun shade on an electric roller which can be lowered in the summer, but it isn't needed now. I wasn't sure about living in a "glass house" when we first moved in, although now I wouldn't have it any other way. Any time I look out, there is something new to see. We have hung a feeder on the eucalyptus which has attracted two different kinds of hummingbirds already. Late one evening, just at dusk, a pack of coyotes strolled by. If I awaken in the night, I can look at the stars before I roll over to go back to sleep. It is very peaceful.

No comments:

Blackness Castle and Linlithgow Palace

Two castle built during the same period, but for completely different uses.  Blackness Castle was a military fort on the Forth of Firth, whi...